Thursday 15 December 2011

Depression and Public opinion

I've been pondering this post for a few weeks now but recent events have encouraged me to finish what I'd started.  Those of you who follow me on the Twitter (@Lycan33) will probably already know that I suffer from depression.  It's something I've been coping with for over 7 years now.
There is a common misconception amongst people that every sufferer has the same symptoms.  We don't. We are all different! And what makes me really angry is when people seem to think it's just a case of 'cheering up' or looking at the positive things in life! FUCK ME! That's where I was going wrong.  Those days when I just can't face getting out of bed to face the world, the days when I can't even look my Dad in the eye.  The time when I tried to finish it all because I just wanted the pain to end, that was all I needed to do according to some people!
It's taken people like @stancollymore who is doing sterling work advertising the Depression Alliance after the sad death of Gary Speed to bring this debilitating illness to the forefront.
I wish there was a quick cure, I really do.  Do you think I enjoy feeling this way?  Feeling every achievement is somehow not the pinnacle it should be?
I have found talking to people has helped at times, but other times I've just wanted to be left alone.  I have met some amazing friends on my journey through depression and I hope that together we all make it through the other side.  But for now, I'm taking things one day at a time.
I'm sorry, It's not been my most coherent discussion, but it's something that's so close to my heart, all rational thought goes out of the window.  I hope that those of you who read this and are suffering or think they may be suffering realise that you are not the only one and there are people out there to talk to.  If I can help in anyway please message me......

No comments:

Post a Comment